Re: draft-newton-link-rr (was Re: Last Call: <draft-faltstrom-uri-10.txt> (The Uniform Resource) Identifier (URI) DNS Resource Record) to Proposed Standard

On 2 mar 2015, at 17:34, Andrew Newton <andy@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And this is the reason I am nervous over "gopher like features" in
> DNS. Even though I think it is good...I think it will loose...

I don't think that's a good enough reason here.  There may be other
reasons to tread carefully here.

Agreed. Also, it seems the horse has already left the barn. With application selection using prefixes, etc... that goes on with SRV, S-NAPTR, and U-NAPTR (as well as URI), there is already "negotiation stuff" in the DNS.

I agree with that but I differ between the "service selection" which I think the prefix is, and the "content negotiation" which is happening as part of HTTP. I do not really see in HTTP a negotiation between SMTP, IMAP and WEB, although with websockets we probably will ;-)

   Patrik