Re: Last Call: RFC 6346 successful: moving to Proposed Standard

On Dec 4, 2014, at 9:00 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <74DF5B53-055C-4235-A8FA-E8B38E007F45@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Lemon writes
> :
>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 10:02 PM, George Michaelson <ggm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hang on.. the deployment of DNSSEC backed applications is a bit iffy if
>> we depend on deployment of DNS based tricks to cover for V4/V6
>> interoperation surely?
>>
>> DNS64 can be done by the client, in which case DNSSEC validation can be
>> performed _before_ translating the IPv4 address from the A record into an
>> IPv6 address in the NAT64 prefix.
>
> Which requires every DNSSEC aware client to also be DNS64 aware.
> I though we were trying to remove NAT kludges requires that they
> be kept forever.

The BEHAVE working group was unable to find any other approach to get DNSSEC and NAT64 to work together.  If you have a proposal, please share.

> RFC 6147 also get DNSSEC signalling completely wrong.  There is NO
> combination of bits that indicates validation will / will not occur.

Yes, you reported that as an errata on 2012-05-30.  It was rejected on basis of "Changes that are clearly modifications to the intended consensus, or
involve large textual changes, should be Rejected.", http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6147.

> Additionally the discover mechanism for the DNS64 parameters is to
> say the least baroque.  It would have been much simpler to add a
> EDNS option so the nameserver could actually return them or the
> addresses it would have otherwise returned if DO=1 is set.  These
> could be cached along with the NODATA response by intermediate
> nameservers.

That does appear a nice approach for a DNS64-aware client to learn the NAT64 prefix.

-d