Re: on recurring favourite locations for November IETF meetings

On 11/10/2014 11:46 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
>> IIRC, in most cases, what they require is an
>> itinerary/reservation rather than a ticket.
>
> If a reservation is required, it can be almost equivalent to
> requiring a ticket, since many airlines won't hold a reservation
> for a cheap/ refundable ticket for very long without buying the
> ticket.

Agree. My point was that, strictly speaking, you do not need to buy a
ticket to apply for the visa.

>> All the above sad, I should say that, as far as
>> central/south-americans are concerned, e.g. Europe tends to be
>> way more friendly than North America: I can travel anywhere in
>> Europe (except Russia, I think) without a visa... but need a
>> visa for US and Canada.
>
> Unfortunately, generalizing from any given country or regional
> experience is not helpful.  As an example, a few central/south
> american countries reciprocate US and/or Canada visa
> requirements and procedures, not only requiring visas, but
> pulling the same "we will not formally turn you down, but may
> keep your application in a 'processing' state until the time of
> the meeting or other event, or at least the plausible airfare
> window, has passed".   I speak from experience, having had
> Brazilian and Chinese visa applications timed out despite
> allowing lots of application time.

I'm aware about the "reciprocity" thing (for instance, Argentina charges
a reciprocity fee to australians, canadians, and usa-ians).

But what I meant is that there are places that are known to be more
painful to travel to than others. And that of "Europe is generally
eaiser to travel to (for central/shouth-americans) than USA or Canada",
is still true. IIRC, citizens from any south american country are
required a visa for US and canada, while quite a few of us
(south/central american countries) can travel to europe without any visa.

> Also note that there are country pairs in which the destination
> country may be very relaxed about tourist visas (or waivers for
> tourists) but may require formal visas for business or meeting
> attendance.

Agreed. An example is India: travel visas are easy (and free!). business
visas are painful (and cost money!).

> Michael's conclusions are, IMO, the correct ones.  I would
> restate them as:
>
> (1) Do not experiment with November meetings.  Pick places where
> we at least know what we are getting into.

Sorry, I missed the discussion: what's so special about November?

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@xxxxxxxxxxx || fgont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx