Re: Sunday tutorials, newcomers, and remote participants

On 11/8/2014 5:10 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
> Done well, they have the potential to be immensely helpful to
> people not familiar with a particular topic (or the IETF in
> general).
> We've also been told, repeatedly, that, for those not extremely
> able in listening to spoken English, having slides and other
> materials available in advance is extremely helpful, even to the
> point of making the difference between a session that is
> understood and one that is an incomprehensible waste of time.

+1 to John's observations and request, but there's a point worth adding:

     Most of these tutorials have continuing benefit.

     It would be nice for someone to be able to 'attend' the tutorial in
2 weeks, 2 months and in 2 years.

Some of the tutorials won't have value in 2 years, but most will, IMO.

In other words, we should treat tutorials as an investment, not just a
consumable good, and we should record them, building an archive of
introductory material.

d/

--
Dave Crocker