Re: Local Cloud Node

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Jim Gettys <jg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
> <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Jim Gettys <jg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > There is a serious issue lurking here: it is *not* safe for devices to
>> > be
>> > without software updates. And it isn't safe to presume the upstream
>> > manufacturer is being diligent in providing those updates.  And nagging
>> > end
>> > users to do something that they don't understand is also not a solution.
>>
>> I think we need to divide divide devices into 'simple enough to not
>> need updates' and 'make use of a standard update process'.
>

> There are few network connected devices "simple enough to not need updates",
> IMHO. Distinguishing those that do from those that don't is just about
> impossible.
>
> Courtesy of Moore's law, even "simple" devices are often/usually based on
> millions of lines of code.

There are IP network devices and serial bus devices. I would like a
mechanism that would allow us to bring serial bus devices into the
Internet of things architecture without putting IP on them.

I think I could write a formal model of IP and prove an IPstack
correct. I certainly would not want to though. And I certainly don't
think I could go much more complex.

The sort of things I think need to be network addressable but not
updatable are things like temperature sensor drivers, motor speed
controllers, PID controllers and the like.

>> My car has 30 computers in it (and a newer model would likely have
>> 60). There is one on every wheel counting the rotations for the ABS
>> system. Do I really want them all to be updatable?
>

> I think those devices just emit signals, and we don't "talk" to them. I can
> see sensors just being "output only" devices (though that creates a
> different problem: network pollution.

A light switch is a writable device.