Local Cloud Node

As someone with far too many IP addressable devices in my house, I am
getting rather fed up of every new device demanding to be hooked up to
a service in the cloud.

Yes, I get the fact that the providers are trying to razor and blade
me with their business model. But that model only works for Gillette
because the blade is the most expensive, difficult part to make.

As a consumer, these services in the cloud represent a lot of risk and
a painful integration nightmare. The point of installing network
addressable switches to control the lights is so that they can be
turned on and off automatically, not so that I can control them from
an iPhone where I have to press six buttons and wait a minute for the
app to load. Then another quarter hour while it insists on updating
itself.

There is therefore a real need for a standards based device that
provides the same services these devices expect from 'the cloud' and
make them available in the local net. And it should be really easy to
connect a newly purchased device to such a cloud.