Re: Data on internet drafts/year?

On Sep 25, 2014, at 9:44 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, the total numbers are small but to the extent that we
> no longer seem to be able to undertake new work without a "problem
> statement" I'd suspect that this may be contributing to process
> delays.

My understanding, possibly incorrect, is that the process delay is intentional. A brief look at the RFC series and the internet drafts will tell you that we often start a project with a solution looking for a problem. Our response has been to ask for a problem statement draft, and then charter a working group that is not authorized to create a solution without a charter change. I don’t know how that doesn’t make the time interval from “I’d like to work on something” to “solution delivered to IESG” longer.

We also have created a work ethic in which dithering is accepted.