Re: dmarc damage, was gmail users read on... [bozo subtopic]

In article <alpine.LRH.2.01.1409142034180.30233@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:

>It seems to me that the wrapped original mail could be signed by the
>forwarding list processor so that the DMARC recipient would accept the
>forwarded mail as coming from the forwarder and the ultimate MUA would
>be able to verify that the wrapped messaged was indeed wrapped by the
>forwarding list processor and transparently unwrap the original
>email.

Well, yes, but you don't need to wrap mail to re-sign it.  By design,
any host that relays a message can add a DKIM signature.  Well run
mailing lists sign mail now.  Look at any IETF list mail for an
example.

The problem with wrapped mail is basically a UI problem, and the IETF
has a long history of knowing less than nothing about UI (as in, much
of what we think we know is wrong.)

Anything a list can do to wrap mail, a bad guy can do, too.  Work out
a few scenarios and you'll find that wrapping isn't very attractive as
a long term solution to anything.

R's,
John