Re: Flollow up from Admin Plenary

From: Walter Pienciak <w.pienciak@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM
To: Kathleen Moriarty <kathleen.moriarty.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: IETF <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Flollow up from Admin Plenary

On a trivial level, software exists that can display e-mail list threads as discussions in a forum, and vice versa, but the content is the same -- it's simply the visual treatment that's changing, and the push/pull preference of each individual user.

WG] +1
For example: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nanog/users/ which is read only but has nice formatting.

Or http://ietf.10.n7.nabble.com/IETF-IETF-f38488.html  that supports replies and has examples from IETF lists.

While I can see the value of collaborative editing tools such as Git that others have suggested, I think that only solves part of the problem (review and collaboration for documents), and doesn't address our needs for discussion that may not always be directly related to a given subsection of text in a draft.
I'd love for this sort of thing to be formally adopted by IETF  (rather than an unofficial thing) thus making it a supported tool with an ietf-managed email gateway that guarantees seamless discussion between email users and forum users, since this type of forum reply has good handling for quoting a part of a message inline and then replying to it, and generally bypasses a lot of the formatting foibles present in email (e.g. Outlook not doing format=flowed, people not making it clear which is their text and which is quoted for context, plain-text vs html, mangled subject lines breaking sorts by thread, etc.).  Not to mention it has good support for consumption via RSS, robust search, and depending on the implementation, good methods to filter/mute/subscribe to threads, good support for a profile that could be integrated into the author information available in tools like Jari's authors reports, etc.
Perhaps the starting point is to identify a way to use this as a formal experiment to determine if it has enough value to justify the added resources IETF would need to manage it.

Thanks,

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I have no control over it.