Re: Flollow up from Admin Plenary

Hi Walter,

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Walter Pienciak <w.pienciak@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The two points of focus I saw in your blog post were

- tools
- culture

Different populations based on age or social culture are often familiar/comfortable with different modes of communication.  So this discussion brings to mind the conversation on diversity in the IETF, as being potentially relevant and beneficial there.

On a trivial level, software exists that can display e-mail list threads as discussions in a forum, and vice versa, but the content is the same -- it's simply the visual treatment that's changing, and the push/pull preference of each individual user.

It's good to see the suggestions coming forward in this and other responses for possibilities on this one.

The amount of information being passed in a single communication transmission -- and the consequent periodicity/volume of messages -- is to my mind the main difference when comparing generational communications preferences.  Certainly there's a faster turnaround -- and more constant contact -- between friends constantly texting; on the other hand, more thoughtfully and carefully worded text usually is found in e-mail.  (It's hard for me to see protocol details being discussed/referenced/reconciled via one-liner tweets ;^)

Good point! Yes, I don't think anyone is advocating for discussions to take place in twitter, so we should be okay on that point, really just to try using it in new ways to raise awareness on the work happening in the IETF, hopefully disseminated to relevant groups of interested people from those that follow the larger set of announcement tweets.

Experiments with new tools would be great.  A common problem with multiple tools in the same functional space is partitioning of information among tools.  A carefully chosen data architecture that minimized this would be beneficial.

Noted and some suggestions are emerging from others, which is great to see.

As far as changing the culture goes, we are the culture.  And the only part of that culture I can really change is me.  All I can do is be respectful, consider that people with different opinions may be thinking of different experiences/data than I am, and try to avoid reflexive responses.  The old "treat others as I'd like to be treated" thing.  While it's true that the old-timers here have a lot of history and context, it is just as true that epiphanies can't be scheduled or assigned.  They'll come out of the blue sometimes from quite unexpected directions, and the culture needs to be ready to capture them when they do.  Actually, I think the IETF has been fairly effective at that.
+1

Walter

Walter Pienciak
Senior Manager, Technology Community, IEEE Standards Association