Re: [saag] : Review of: Opportunistic Security -03 preview for comment

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, John Wroclawski wrote:

> Oh *man* I’m going to regret this.
>
> Hi. Jumping randomly into this conversation from the point of view of
> someone who is fascinated by the dynamics but, yes, _has not read the
> draft_, I’d like to observe something.
>
> On Aug 15, 2014, at 2:14 PM, Viktor wrote:
>
> >> <D. Crocker’s definition:
> >>
> >>     [D. Crocker] Opportunism is the flexibility to use less-stringent protection,
> >> when stronger protection is not possible.
> >
> > This is a definition of something else.  That something is not the
> > subject of the draft. […]
> >
> > The subject is introducing the OS design pattern.  The OS design
> > pattern as introduced, is to set a least common denominator baseline
> > (crypto)security policy (that might well be cleartext) and from
> > there do better whenever possible for each peer.
>
> From my point of view, these two wordings are indistinguishable. Setting
> a least common denominator and doing better whenever possible *is* using
> less-stringent protection when stronger protection is not available. I
> understand there’s nuance, relating to per-peer (which I think everyone
> agrees with), to the multiple dimensions of protection, and to whether
> “none” is a variant of “least” or not. But IMO, fundamentally these two
> sentences say the same thing. If the intent is that they don’t, *very*
> different words may be needed.

[trimmed the other example]

Perhaps the part that is missing is what Ted was referencing, namely the
unstated goal that the baseline can be raised over time, after gradual
adoption of the better-protection options has reached a sufficient
proportion of the population such that the downside of increasing the
baseline is minimal.

-Ben