Re: Last Call List was Re: Best tool to cut posts 6.25 inches square x 96 inches

On 13/08/2014 02:32, Warren Kumari wrote:
> Can someone please remind me what problem exactly we are trying to solve?

A full-on participant in the IETF will need to stay on this list
and join the last call list, so it isn't about mail volume.

> Do we really think that the volume of LC comments are so large that
> folk don't participate on -discuss? That there is so much faff on
> discuss that folk cannot see the LC discussions?

I filter all messages with "last call" in the subject into a dedicated
inbox, so a dedicated list would be a slight convenience. I don't see
how anybody can manage their IETF mail without aggressive subject-based
filtering or threading.

> There is significant value in having a general discussion list -- we
> are, in theory, a community -- part of being part of a community
> involves knowing the other folk, and building a shared ethos. -discuss
> is, IMO, the closest we have to that. Things like PHB's Tardis
> discussion didn't hurt anyone, and provided A: some education, B: some
> chuckles, and C: an understanding of some other folks interests.

Yes. And I also have a filter called "ietf-silly-subj" which I update
whenever a really annoying thread breaks out...

  Brian