Re: summary for Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-05.txt> (A Null MX Resource Record for Domains that Accept No Mail) to Proposed Standard

> > > The point of null MX records it to explicitly say the address is invalid,
> > > so an address status would seem to make sense.
> >
> > No, the point is to say that a host is invalid.

> If you can't use them when the DNS says a mail domain is invalid then I
> don't understand if it ever makes sense to use 5.1.2 or 5.1.8.

You don't have a way of declaring a domain as invalid at the MTA level? The
Oracle MTA has at least five different ways that can be configured without any
recourse to a directory server. And we absolutely do return 5.2.1 in such
cases.

And ask yourself this: Given that the null MX mechanism wasn't part of the
picture when these codes were developed, and given null MX is the only (AFAIK)
DNS-based mechanism with these semantics, why was the code even defined? Also
remember that the attitude in those days (wrongly, IMO) to be parsimonous
with code allocation.

Absent a DNS-based mechanism, the best that could be done to address this
problem was either to MX such hosts to an MTA which was configured to reject
them, or run a stub SMTP server on the host itself that returns a 521 error as
the banner a la RFC 1846. In either of those cases a 5.1.2 code would be
appropriate.

				Ned