Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-nullmx-05.txt> (A NULL MX Resource Record for Domains that Accept No Mail) to Proposed Standard

In message <C5EE6366-7EFF-4B7C-BF09-9579C6D24393@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Lemon writes
:
> On Jul 17, 2014, at 11:26 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There are lots of machines which do not have the SMTP port configured
> > yet have A or AAAA records resulting in a implicit MX record and
> > week+ long no delivery notifications.
> >
> > Just about everyone with a outsourced HTTP service needs to be able
> > to stop MTAs sending to email to the outsourced service.  MUA's
> > could also lookup the MX RRset and issue a error without talking
> > to the MSA.
>
> I must be missing something here.   You're saying you want me to set up a
> null MX for all my hosts to prevent someone else's MTA having
> undeliverable mail sitting in the queue for a week?   Why would I care
> about your MTA's queue?   Why would this issue even be on my radar?

> The second example you give, stopping mail being delivered to the web
> server, is actually served better by setting up a proper MX that directs
> the mail to the right server.   Does an HTTP server really care about the
> occasional SYN to port 25?

Is it?  You are forcing me to configure a MTA to accept mail for
"www.example.com", even if I don't want to, because otherwise I
have to trust a hosting service to not run a smtp service on the
http server.  I'm giving the hosting service stuff I want to be
made public.  I want to prevent stuff, that should remain private,
from being sent to their machine by mistake.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx