Re: email client popularity [was Webmail is implementation, not Internet architecture (was Re: Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.)]

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> The things that I think have security (or significant
> operational) impacts include tracking beacons embedded in
> messages to tell the sender (at least) when or if they were read
> (privacy problem), embedded large images or text that is
> automagically downloaded when the message is opened or earlier
> (potential DoS attack), embedded malware and scripts of multiple
> flavors even if not intentionally hostile, and so on.

Yes, there are many traps for the average user on a MUA that tries
very hard to look spiffy. I like mutt ... but an alternative is to use
a GUI MUA that where you can keep its behavior conservative.
Thunderbird is not bad at that.