Re: email client popularity [was Webmail is implementation, not Internet architecture (was Re: Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.)]

Ned,

On 15/06/2014 08:21, Ned Freed wrote:
>> Ned,
>
>> On 15/06/2014 02:42, ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Some data to support this conclusion:
>> [that webmail is not dominant]
>>>   http://emailclientmarketshare.com/
>
>> Hmm. I was curious about what those numbers really measure.
>> Judging by http://litmus.com/email-analytics, it seems that
>> they refer to a sample of emails that (a) contained a specific
>> HTML snippet and were (b) opened as HTML by the clients and
>> (c) by implication, had been sent via a mailing list.
>
> Litmus is a service for people who send out bulk mail and want to track
> whether or not it's seen, and when it's seen what client is used to see it.
>
>> It seems
>> very likely to me that the sample consisted of spam.
>
> Actually, it's unlikely in the extreme. Spammers are into volume, they don't
> care about tracking analytics and aren't going to pay a company like Litmus to
> perform such a service. But there are a hell of a lot of legitimate bulk email
> senders out there who do care about the effectiveness of their mail, and have
> the money to pay for such things.

I think I'll avoid stating an opinion about the boundary between
legitimate bulk email and spam, because that would lead to far
too much dissent, pretty much regardless of what I said ;-)

>> I'm
>> not sure that the numbers reflect unbiased statistics, unless
>> you're a spammer. In any case they don't indicate how many
>> people open email in plain text mode (which I alway do if
>> possible, precisely to avoid embedded code).
>
> Well, I think it's up to you to show that a significant fraction of the
> email-reading public prefers to read HTML mail without resolving any of the
> links, and that missing out on that fraction significantly biases such data.

I believe I am in a tiny, tiny minority by running my email
client in 'plain text' mode unless I receive a message that is
incomprehensible without setting 'original html' mode.

>> That said, they certainly show that one size doesn't fit all.
>
> Which was the main point.

Indeed.

    Brian