Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Hector Santos <hsantos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Let me ask, what if a fedex.com employee use this email domain for
> subscribing to the IETF list?

Any subsequent problems are irrelevant unless FedEx, the owner of
fedex.com considers them to be relevant.

That is what folk complaining don't get: you don't have the right to
use your employers email or a public email provider's email any way
you want. The domain name owner makes the rules.

As Craster insists: My domain, my rules.

If you want to make the rules then get your own domain. I think that
is something most IETF participants know how to do.

In the medium term, lets kill the stupidity of mailing lists with a
protocol that works. NNTP was originally designed to replace mailing
lists. It actually works quite well at that. The only problem was the
IT-Dictator mindset that underlies it: newsgroups have to be approved
by the Commune!

The idea that newsgroups work by the mail client PULLING a list of
unread messages and then PULLING those that are to be read is the best
architecture for newsgroups.

I am currently using 8Gb of my primary Gmail account space, 80% of
that is my mailing list mail. Google and Yahoo could both save tens of
millions of dollars worth of hard drives a year with a better
protocol, thats incentive to invest.

The only points that need to change are the mailing list programs need
to offer a very simple network API and the clients need to accept it.
The second is not so difficult to deploy for the 90% of webmail users.