Re: What I've been wondering about the DMARC problem

On 17 Apr 2014, at 21:06, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 17/04/2014 22:03, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
>>> It doesn't work *properly*. Firstly, this message wouldn't be sent
>>> to you with CC to the list, which is the correct semantic.
>>> If you weren't a subscriber, you would never see it. Secondly,
>>
>> Sorry, but I appear to be confused.
>>
>> The Reply-To: field is adjusted to be the author's address,
>
> Oh, OK. Most UAs will probably do what you describe, but I think
> there are exceptions. However, if I want to reply to the author
> alone, it's now the simple Reply that will fail me, because it
> will reply to the list. And in my mail folders, messages will
> all appear to come from the list; if I want to find the message
> that Sabahattin sent me two years ago, I can't, because my UA
> doesn't allow for searching on the Reply-To field.
>
> It's still got very poor semantics.

Precisely right, and especially +1 to the concluding paragraph.

Is now the time to discuss making it policy for mail receivers to supply user-modifiable signer-domain bypasses?  Or is "Whitelisting" still considered a dirty word and "Not scalable"? :)

Cheers,
Sabahattin