Re: IAOC Seeks Community Input on IETF Website Revamp SOW

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale R. Worley" <worley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:10 PM
> > From: "t.p." <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > I was concerned when I first heard of this that it would result in a
> > website that would call for flashy software on a gee-whiz device to
> > be able to carry on participating in the work of the IETF.  I note,
> > however, that while the SOW talks of getting the work done, the SOW
is
> > limited to www.ietf.org.  Checking History, I find I last used that
when
> > planning to attend IETF89 and before that, I cannot recall when.
> >
> > So if www.ietf.og was made gee-whiz and flashy, it would not affect
me;

> I'm not entirely sure what you're saying, but if it means that somehow
> the "main" web site and the "datatracker" become even more
> disconnected, that's not good at all.  Currently, the distinction
> regarding what is on one and the other seems to be nearly arbitrary,
> and it's constantly getting in my way when I try to find information.

I am saying 'Leave the Datatracker Alone'!

It does the job for me and as I said before, the only use I can find I
made of the www.ietf.org website in my browser History was to check the
details of IETF89 before booking.  Mailing Lists, I-Ds, Charters,
Archives, RFC, History, DISCUSS .... etc I access via the Datatracker
(which is my browser's home page - used to be Google).  Sometimes it
lets me down - ever tried to find the tools mailing list via it? - but I
suspect that any change to it would impair my ability to participate in
the IETF, short term and may be long term.

I think that the layout of the main www.ietf.org is poor, scrappy.
(Didn't underlining go out when printers gained support for more than
one font?)

By contrast, I think that the IEEE website looks, well, professional.
We may technically be amateurs in the IETF but we should still appear
professional!

Tom Petch