Re: IAOC Seeks Community Input on IETF Website Revamp SOW

On Mar 17, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Eric Burger <eburger-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Agreed. We don't need flashy(tm) stuff. We need easy to access and find stuff. Mobile sites are really easy if the site itself is simple, compact, and NOT using the proprietary flavor of the month for fancy display.

While we certainly don't need a web site that doesn't continue to fill the needs of its existing community, it's worth asking if "we" really means what various people who have weighed in on this think it means.   What is the target audience for the web site?   Is it IETF attendees?   The press?   People who use our protocol specifications?   The open source community?   Young geeks learning about networking?   Governments?   Other standards bodies?

Nearly 100% of the time when I go to the IETF web site it's to look up when the next meeting is, or when a previous meeting was.   Everything else I tend to access through the datatracker.   Am I a typical user?   Are you a typical user?

I don't know what the answer to these questions is, but I suspect that if you look at this effort strictly from the perspective of "what would work for me," you probably are narrowing the scope way too much to be useful.