Re: it's been a while since we discussed the use of PowerPoint in meetings

On Mar 20, 2014, at 12:05 PM, t.p. <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The most striking feature for me of IETF89 was the failure of almost all
> WG Chairs to produce a PowerPoint display at all, without some trial and
> error.  Most laptops etc these days have a widescreen aspect ratio
> (WHY???)

The better to watch movies with.

> whereas none of the projectors did, so what appeared on the
> screen tended to be the top left corner or right hand extreme or ... of
> the Agenda, Note Well and so on.

That’s very easy to solve on Macs, and I assume the same is true of PCs. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it is.

> It seems a shame to get so many engineers together in a room and then
> spend five minutes trying to get a display working.  PowerPoint may
> rescue incompetent speakers but it does nothing for those who cannot
> interface a laptop to a projector.

So maybe engineers need to learn how to operate their fancy laptops. For Macs you are a checkbox away from having the displays non-mirrored, which works very well for PowerPoint. It doesn’t work well with Preview for showing PDF files, but both Adobe Reader and Skim display PDFs very well on the projector with no truncation.

Sorry for the rant

Yoav