RE: Removing stuff from archives (Re: Anti-harassment procedures - next version)

> We used to try to expunge old versions of drafts from the Internet. Whatever
> process the IETF comes up with, if there is a possibility of material being removed,
> other archives will work harder to be sure it is preserved.

There is something literally Orwellian about attempting to remove messages from the archives in the name of political correctness. I wonder why we are even considering the notion. This is the IETF, not the "Ministry of Truth."

Besides, as Scott points out, it cannot work. We have been using email on the Internet for more than 30 years, and by now we should all be aware that there is no such thing as a "recall" button. The mailing list is distributed, anybody can archive it, and I am pretty sure that people already do. Any attempt to remove something from the archives will most likely trigger the re-publication of the offending material in some alternate site. Welcome to the Streisand effect.

-- Christian Huitema