Re: A suggestion for future Technical Plenaries

On 07/03/2014 04:13, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 03:55:57AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> Get speakers we know, and avoid speakers with management job titles.
>
> Is there a danger in that case of the technical plenary turning into
> an echo chamber, where we only talk to ourselves?  (That's not a
> rhetorical question; I'm asking for real.)

Yes, there is that risk, and "someone we know" doesn't have to be
an IETF regular, although when there's something provocative like
CODEL, why not take a regular? Or take something a bit out of our orbit
like Coded TCP?

On 07/03/2014 04:54, Jari Arkko wrote:

> no risk no gain.

Agreed, but I'd rather risk it being too technical and hard to
understand. (Personally I found the DHT talk a few years ago hard
too understand, but an absolutely appropriate topic.)

On 07/03/2014 04:58, Thomas Narten wrote:

> One of the the surest ways to vet speakers is talk to people you know
> and trust who have heard (first hand) talks given by the proposed
> speaker. Getting recommendations 2nd and 3rd hand are intrinsically
> more risky.

Very true.

   Brian