Re: Internet organisations coordination meeting

On Feb 16, 2014, at 2:20 PM, Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Folks, as John Klensin said, the reason we do not say "spokesperson" is that our leadership do not speak for us.   We only speak as a group through the consensus process.   So the term "spokesperson" is simply inaccurate.
>
> The term "leader" makes sense as a generic because there were a number of organizations, with different leadership structures, some not involving the same consensus process that exists in the IETF.   So we couldn't for example say "chair," because that term wouldn't apply to all the people who signed the statement.

Agree that spokesperson is wrong. Spokespersons (spokespeople?) don't make or participate in any decisions, whereas the IETF chair does.

"Leader" and "chair" are both fine. Yes, "chair" is meaningless in other organizations, but in the days of the cold war, nobody fretted that international accords were signed by an American "president", a British "Prime Minister", a Russian "general secretary", and a Chinese "Chairman". Today when foreign ministers from various countries meet, nobody complains about the Americans sending a "secretary of state". The world adjusts to different names. I don't see an issue here.

Yoav