Re: Revision to Note Well (some history) - updated

This is essentially a repeat of a discussion that has happened every few years since the late 1990s.  The original idea for the Note Well (at least *my* original idea) was that it should simply be a pointer to the IETF IPR policy, which has many pages of explanation and answers most of the questions that people have been raising on this thread.  It should be obvious, I think, that a complex process like the IETF's IPR disclosure procedure can't be fully explained in a couple of sentences.  Any such attempt is bound to be incomplete.

This being said, there has been a strong desire by many to have a summary statement that also serves as a pointer to the real policy.  That's what the current Note Well is supposed to be.  It is NOT a statement of the IETF's IPR rules.  Those are contained in BCP 78/79, and anyone who is responsible for his/her company's IPR and/or compliance needs to read those and not rely on the summary statement/pointer contained in Note Well.

Jorge