Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-number-registries-02.txt> (Internet Numbers Registries) to Informational RFC

On 2/7/14, 09:52 , Russ Housley wrote:
I am posting an update that includes some of your comments.  If a document comes along that defines a special-purpose AS number registry before this document becomes and RFC, I wouldgladly reference it.  If not, such a document can revise the registry that this document establishes.

Russ

I have no objection to that.

As for the -04 revision, I'd prefer to see [draft-ietf-idr-last-as-reservation] as the reference for AS65535 in the table and not [RFC1930]. Another option, less preferred by me, is to reference both [draft-ietf-idr-last-as-reservation] and [RFC1930] for AS65535. By the way, draft-ietf-idr-last-as-reservation successfully completed WGLC in IDR.

While it is true that RFC1930 reserved AS65535, the text of RFC1930, section 10, identifies AS65535 as part of the Private Use range. However, the IANA AS Numbers registry had listed AS65535 separately from that range for sometime, well before RFC6996, and maybe back to RFC1997 or even before RFC1930, I don't know for sure. RFC1997 indirectly uses AS65535 for the well-known BGP communities. RFC6996 updates that part of RFC1930 to clarify that AS65535 is not properly part of the Private Use range. Then draft-ietf-idr-last-as-reservation will clarify the purpose of and formalizes the reservations for both AS65535 and AS4294967295, and discusses RFC1997's use of AS65535.

I did a some searching for any other ASNs specified for a special-purposes in RFCs, the only thing I found that isn't already covered is; RFC6304, which specifies the use of AS112 to provide a distributed sink for DNS reverse queries of RFC1918 blocks and other similar queries. However, since the IPv4 prefix also specified isn't listed in the IANA IPv4 Special-Purpose Address Registry, I don't think its necessary to list the ASN either. But, I thought I would mention it just in case someone feels differently.

Finally, should the Abstract and Introduction also include the fact that the IANA Special-Purpose AS Numbers Registry is established by this document.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer@xxxxxxx
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952