Re: Agenda, security, and monitoring

I looked at the specifications recently. There is certainly support for concealing the RFC822 From and To headers and the Subject line. There are two sets of metadata to consider:

1) The SMTP routing data (RFC821)
2) The Message headers (RFC822)

There are two sets of issues, one is what the specifications say, the other is what the implementations do.

S/MIME does support concealing the RFC 822 header data because it is not used in routing. Only the RFC821 data is used for routing. The RFC822 header data is only used by the email client to decide how to respond.

I have successfully routed several SMTP messages with no RFC822 routing data at all. I plan testing support for 'full wrap' as described in the specs but not for a while. To give a useful answer would require a look at each and every email client including older versions.

The problem then is not how to achieve this particular capability in the specification, it is how to make use of it in a way that does not cause unpleasant user experiences when people have non-compliant software.

People with Outlook 2007 (say) who are happy with it are unlikely to want to spend $350 to upgrade so that they don't get mysterious encrypted messages that don't have sender names or subject lines.