Re: Agenda, security, and monitoring

On 02/02/2014 02:38 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 2/1/2014 5:02 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> i support pgp key signing even though pgp and signed mail are not
>> perfect or make cash fall from the sky.  one day at a time.
>

> After twenty years of one day at a time, it's demonstrably not the
> vehicle for mass-adoption, nor is there any basis for viewing it as the
> foundation of the vehicle.
>
> If you think otherwise, please offer an explanation of how to get from
> the small-scale, long-term here to the the necessarily very large-scale
> there that we need to reach.
>
> Again, putting energy into PGP or S/MIME -- in anything like their
> current form -- incurs extremely expensive opportunity costs for the
> IETF community.

You may be right, but I'm not so clear about that, as stated.

If someone wanted to propose using PGP or S/MIME (aka CMS) formats
to provide closer-to-end-to-end confidentiality protection for email
messages that covered most headers in a way that might get deployment
then I think that would not match your description. I do suspect
that that is not likely to happen.

If OTOH, we spent a lot of time debating email message origin
authentication then I fully agree with you that we'd just be
distracting ourselves pointlessly.

S.