Re: Call for Review of draft-iab-filtering-considerations-06.txt, "Technical Considerations for Internet Service Blocking and Filtering"

Hi

On Thu 30/Jan/2014 22:17:25 +0100 Alissa Cooper wrote:
> On 1/30/14 10:52 AM, "Alessandro Vesely" <vesely@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed 29/Jan/2014 17:16:56 +0100 IAB Chair wrote:
>>>
>>> The document is available for inspection here:
>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-filtering-considerations/
>>
>> Albeit it purports to keep clear of (un)ethical considerations, the
>> document seems to be oriented toward government-imposed restrictions,
>> recounting how it would be better to move filtering to collaborative
>> endpoints rather than disrupting Internet operation, since bad actors
>> can circumvent filtering anyway.  I fully agree, but I think that a
>> general purpose document on this subject might have touched on such
>> points as password management, user identification, and outbound port
>
> Could you expand a bit about what you feel is missing as regards to
> password management and user identification?

Blocking dictionary attacks is an obvious requirement for any server
endpoint.  Perhaps that topic is not really /missing/, since it is so
obvious and apparently overworked.  However, most of the applications
which log authentication failures don't support tracking the number of
failed attempts against a given password.  Thus, policies blindly
require passwords to be changed after T days, irrespectively of the
entropy that a password had and the amount of it that could have been
eroded by failed attempts.  So maybe that topic is not as overworked
as it may appear.

Upon authentication, a user-id qualifies an endpoint.  Together with a
realm-id, it makes a global identifier.  Email address confirmation
can be considered a kind of rendezvous service, which users can block
by discarding the request.  The exchange of marketing profile data
between unscrupulous operators, often based on email addresses, is a
kind of abusive or objectionable communication.  Disposable addresses
are an example of a mechanism to block that indirectly.  They require
endpoint-based support at both ends, which is rather uncommon.

Thank you for your interest
Ale