Re: Third party disclosures and NDAs (Re: Problem with new Note Well )

> From: "Mulligan, Geoff" <geoff.mulligan@xxxxxxxx>
>
> So because I know of IPR that someone else has and is not disclosing
> and because I cannot legally disclose it - I can't continue to
> participate in the discussion doesn't seem right.  I'm not the
> holder of the IPR that isn't being disclosed, but I'm penalized.

That is the rule (it seems).  It's hard on you, but the IETF seems to
hold to the principle "You can't participate if you know of
undisclosed IPR claims", presumably so the participant can't secretly
steer the solution to include or exclude the IPR.  It's a choice of
who gets inconvenienced, you or the IETF?

Indeed, if the IETF didn't have this rule, a company with undisclosed
IPR could hire consultants, put them under NDA, and have them advocate
at the IETF to include the IPR in standards.

Dale