Re: Last Call: <draft-yourtchenko-cisco-ies-09.txt> (Cisco Specific Information Elements reused in IPFIX) to Informational RFC

Pete,

On 01/28/2014 12:56 AM, Pete Resnick wrote:
> On 1/27/14 7:55 AM, Thomas Narten wrote:
>>> The Independent RFC Stream would seem more appropriate.
>>>
>> Well, if you run a document through the RFC Stream publication
>> process, it doesn't get the same level/type of review as does running
>> it through the IETF. At least in theory.
>>

> If it were running through a WG and the WG wanted to publish it, I'd be
> much more likely to believe that it was getting a better level/type of
> review than running it through the ISE. But just getting a Last Call as
> an AD-sponsored document? I have my doubts.
>
> And though Lars is right that we've been darn inconsistent about it,
> 2026 does say that we're not supposed to be doing that:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026#section-4.2.3

Which also says:

  "In order to differentiate these Internet-Drafts
   they will be labeled or grouped in the I-D directory so they are
   easily recognizable."

Pretty modern eh;-) And hightly likely to be meaningful
to readers.

More relevant though, the same section implies correctly
that it'd be a bad plan to let people easily "circumvent
the Internet Standards Process" and I would argue that
doing an IETF LC is a fine way for that be tested. About
as good as the ISE asking the IESG probably on balance
though the trade offs differ.

I suspect we'll be better off just not getting bothered
until such time as someone takes on the always-gargantuan
task of updating this bit of 2026.

> The ISE can always send a message to the IETF list saying, "I'd like the
> IETF to have a look at this document and send comments." I think it is
> almost identically as effective as sending out an IETF Last Call for an
> AD-sponsored Informational document.
>
> I can imagine times where an AD-sponsored Informational document is
> useful, but I'm guessing there are far less than the number of times we
> do it.

I'm not at all clear why its useful to be bothered about
that. Can you explain how we all win?

I've no idea what's in draft-yourtchenko, but I do not
have any general problem with something that could be sent
to the ISE being handled in this way. And nor should any
of us I reckon, unless we prefer pointless process over
getting-stuff-done, in the absence of a particular issue
with the draft.

S.