Re: Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05 becoming a Best Current Practice

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 08:29:14AM -0500, Ted Lemon wrote:

> It's jargon.

I think I disagree.  I think it's idiom.  "MPLS" is maybe jargon.
"Bit-bucket" is certainly jargon.  "More heat than light" is not.

It might be that the expression is stale, too.  I have long assumed
that the basic analogy is with incandescent light bulbs or other light
sources that produced both heat and light.  One wanted more light than
heat.  (It'd be stupid to complain of a heater, "It's more heat than
light.")  In this age of CFLs, maybe the expression is finished.  (A
principle telling against including the expression, indeed, is to
avoid the use of clichés.)

Anyway, I've used up my allocation of bits for this month.  I'll shut
up now.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx