Re: Concerns about draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-05 becoming a Best Current Practice

----- Original Message -----
From: "S Moonesamy" <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:34 AM
<snip>

> I agree that the metaphors are part of the expressive power of
> language and I agree with what is written above.
>
> The origin of the phrase is from Mike O'Dell and it was written as
follows:

>    "Increase the light and reduce the heat."
>
> Mike O'Dell changed that to:
>
>    "Reduce the heat and increase the light."
>
> I did a quick search of the phrase as used in the IETF.  There were
> 241 results.  11 of those results were from messages posted to IETF
> mailing lists.  Four persons commented about that text (I am ignoring
> my comments).  My reading of the opinions expressed is that they
> leaned towards having that text in the document.
>
> I'll leave this open until 7 January, 2014 so that other persons have
> the opportunity to express their opinions.

I have not a clue what that expression means; I have never seen it
before anywhere that I can recall (speaking my one and only language,
English).  Is it Quebecois, Canadian, American, IETFian...  ?  I do not
know and cannot imagine it conveying anything to someone who is new to
the IETF and is not a native English speaker!

Tom Petch