Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

Hi Steve,

On 12/17/2013 02:38 PM, Stephen Kent wrote:
> Stephen,
>>> Your parenthetical comment admits the probability is not approaching 1,
>>> for all users on all links, ... This may be a reason why we don't have a
>>> rigorous definition for pervasive monitoring yet.
>> I assert we have a sufficient definition for this BCP and do
>> not here need more. Can you say what ambiguity in interpretation
>> would be caused by the current definition? I don't think any of
>> us interested in aimless perfection, but if there are ambiguities
>> that'd have an impact, then those would be very interesting.
>> If there are no such ambiguities, then we should be done.
> I disagree.

I guess we disagree:-)

> I think specific discussions of what is NOT PM will
> help,

Latest suggested text on that on the list was at [1]
following a longish thread.

> and saying why we believe PM merits our attention, NOW, is
> important.

That's fair. The current text says because PM is
indistinguishable from other attacks, but see
also the text I suggested in [2]. I do think that's
enough really for this document.

> Otherwise, we will look silly to many readers.

Well, as you know, I don't much mind looking silly
myself:-) But I don't think I've not seen anyone
(else?) say the current text looks silly.

>> Other points from recent mails:
>>
>> - RFC4949 is already referenced - are we all reading the draft?
>     my comment re 4949 was a respond to the ISO terminology message.

Sorry, didn't mean you there.

>> - Artefact is correct. [1]'
> Artifact is the US English spelling, as the OED notes. I thought we
> usually go with US vs. UK English, which is why we don't see a lot
> of instances of "colour" and "behaviour" inn RFCs :-).

The RFC editor is fine with either, so long as its
consistent in the document is my understanding. So
both spellings are correct, and neither is wrong.

>> *Please* let's avoid ratholes, I'd ask that everyone think
>> whether or not any well-meaning suggestion is one or not
>> before suggesting stuff.
>>

> You say rathole,

That was a bit pejorative of me all right I guess, but
I do think there's plenty of scope for us to rathole.

> I say clear explanation of what we see as in and out of
> scope,
> why PM is different from what we have long addressed, and examples to
> clarify

I do plan to incorporate a bit of text from my reply
to you earlier on that. [2] And I'll look over the text
you just sent to see if there are bits that could be
stolen^H^H^H^H^H^Hused.

I don't disagree with quite a bit of your text btw,
though there are definitely bits where we do disagree.
I'll watch for responses to your other mail though.

> this. Avoiding examples creates ambiguity in a context where terms are not
> crisply defined. We seem to be in that context.

I've still not seen a good example of such an ambiguity. If
there are some then that really would be interesting.

Cheers,
S.

PS: I'll be incorporating changes into a -03 in the next
day or two since Jari asked for that.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg84888.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg84998.html