Re: Editorial thoughts on draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Kent" <kent@xxxxxxx>
To: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 4:56 PM
> Christopher,
>
> > ISO 27000 (Information technology - Security techniques -
Information security management systems - Overview and vocabulary)
> > defiChristopher,nes both terms, and differently:
> >
> > 2.4
> > attack
> > attempt to destroy, expose, alter, disable, steal or gain
unauthorized access to or make unauthorized use of
> > an asset (2.3)
> >
> > 2.45
> > threat
> > potential cause of an unwanted incident, which may result in harm to
a system or organization

> The definition for attack seems appropriate.  The definition for
threat
> is not
> bad, but I prefer an older one, commonly used in the military context,
> and which
> matches with a trio of definitions for understanding security
contexts:

> Vulnerability - a flaw in a design of implementation of a
security-relevent
> protocol or system
>
> Attack - more of less as above
>
> Adversary - an entity with a set of motivations and capabilities to
> effect an attack
>
> Threat - a motivated, capable adversary. An adversary who is capable,
> but not motivated, is not a threat. An adversary who is motivated, but
> not capable, is not a threat.

Stephen

As you know well, we have published RFCs with definitions of these terms
so we could use our own definitions - or we could use someone, anyone,
else's:-)

Tom Petch

PS for those who are not engaged with the IETF view of security, I am
referring to RFC2828 and its successor, RFC4949.  Sterling works.

> A threat model articulates adversaries and often enumerates classes of
> attacks, and
> then discusses the perceived motivation and ability of adversaries to
> effect attacks
> against a system of interest.
>
> We lack a threat model for the Internet. Most of our security
protocols
> do not
> have published threat models (we didn't encourage this until recently)
and