RE: [perpass] Commnets on draft-farrell-perpass-attack-00 was RE: perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

>> Stephen,
>>
>> I've no idea what you think you mean when you say 'moving beyond
>> mandatory to implement'. My take is that encryption should never be
>> mandatory to implement.
>
>MTI security is what's called for by BCP 61.

...only for standards-track protocols.

And that document asks 'is encryption  a MUST' and sensibly answers 'no'
as far as confidentiality goes. draft-farrell-perpass-attack goes beyond
that to insist on confidentiality everywhere.

So, your take on MTI seems far far broader than that in BCP 61.

[..]

>> I did not discuss processing cost, though that's also relevant,
>> particularly for low-end systems.
>>
>> My concern is that the cost to designers of trying to design
>> transport protocols becomes unacceptably high, as any attempt
>> to design a transport protocol becomes defending against the design
>> of what has just become a security protocol.
>
>I also meant that. Arguing that we don't know how to engineer
>this is also a fine 1990's era argument.

DTNRG (late 2000s, yet still persisting as a group as e.g. the TCP
convergence layer isn't published yet) is a much more recent example
of this.

>> I view the failure of DTNRG work - where tailoring for the DTN
>> scenario was dropped in favour of emphasising security work, and
>> problems with the protocol would be fixed by the security framework,
>> but weren't - as an example of this. And where the IRTF leads,
>> the IETF follows.
>
>Your and my descriptions of about 90% of things related to DTN
>seem to be at odds. And that's the case here too.

Damn right.

Lloyd Wood
http://sat-net.com/L.Wood/dtn