Re:Commnets on draft-farrell-perpass-attack-00 was RE: perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2013 9:26 PM
> On 09/12/2013 09:34, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> >
> > On 12/08/2013 05:56 AM, l.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Stephen,
> >>
> >> I've no idea what you think you mean when you say 'moving beyond
> >> mandatory to implement'. My take is that encryption should never be
> >> mandatory to implement.
> >
> > MTI security is what's called for by BCP 61. Sometimes the MTI
> > security for a protocol will involve confidentiality, other
> > times (e.g. routing protocols) it has tended not to. So your
> > "take" is at odds with long standing IETF BCPs.
>
> And just to repeat an earlier discussion:
>
> MTI != MTIMC != MTEBD != MTD
>
> Mandatory to Implement
> Mandatory to Implement and Make Configurable
> Mandatory to Enable by Default.
> Mandatory to Deploy
>
> These distinctions matter. The first three are requirements on
> coders and vendors, that we can include in IETF standards.
> The last one is a requirement on operators, who will do what
> they think best or what local laws force them to do.

Absolutely; and this is something that the I-D under discussion seems to
ignore.

Also, quite often our RFC specify that a particular feature should be
controllable, that there should be a 'button' to allow it to be disabled
or enabled, which I think again needs promoting.  (If I had the option
to turn off encryption when submitting this e-mail to my MX, I would do
it most of the time - it is nothing but hassle and, of course, it is
'end to almost-nowhere' and so seems to me to add nothing by way of
privacy).

Tom Petch