Spontaneous Procedure Invention ( was Re: Procedural Changes through side-effect)

On 11/21/2013 7:40 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
   it seems to
me that you are making a leap from "the metadata are available
if you know where to look" (or use the right tools) to

Which is exactly the same model being applied when explanatory text is published through an RFC.

We not not make sure that someone seeking the original RFC will find the explanatory RFC concerning a move to history.

The much-maligned datatracker makes the link and the RFC Editor Search makes the link. The former already also points to non-RFC discussion and the latter can easily be modified to do that too.

"therefore it is reasonable to change the procedures by which
standards-affecting decisions are documented and to introduce
those procedures via a specific case".

There is no such "procedure".

There is an occasional practice, but nothing codified.

Certainly there is no procedure that is documented by the IETF. Not in RFC 2026. And not in the obscure IESG Statement on the matter of moving to Historic:

     http://www.ietf.org//iesg/statement/designating-rfcs-as-historic.html

In fact, most RFCs that are moved to Historic do not publish an explanatory RFC, although yes, some do.

If my count is correct[*], there have been 44 RFC published since 2000 that were moved to Historic. Of those, 6 have had explanatory RFCs published along with the move the Historic. That's 14%.

No doubt, once can play with the analysis to up the percentage, but the essential points are:

        1.  There is no established IETF (or IESG) rule about
            publishing explanatory text

        2.  There is no consistent practice in publishing
            explanatory text

   It also seems to me
that this process involves doing that without any real
discussion of the procedural change independent of that case.
If we push all other issues aside, it is that change, without a
clear discussion or statement of what is being done, that is
troubling, not the particular action or documentation of one
particular case.

I agree.  So please stop trying to impose a new rule due to this one case.

So here's the thing:

The problem with the analysis that John then pursued is that he cherry-picked examples that suited his view and ignored the ones that are just as plausible but don't support that view.

That suggests to me that, if we are going to expect people to go
to the datatracker (or equivalent) in all cases, we have some
act-cleaning-up to do.

Isn't it nice that John and I still manage to find substantive points to agree on? Like this one.

The IETF spent a ton of money developing the datatracker. In a few places, we press for its use, but mostly we don't.

For example, it should always be the first returned entry when doing a google search for an RFC or Internet-Draft.

d/

ps. Speaking of side-effects, although I didn't look carefully, a side-effect of the quick research to produce the data for this note causes me to suspect that I might hold the record for the most RFCs moved to Historic...

RFCs Moved to Historic -- Annotated with explanatory RFCs

RFC 2673	Binary Labels in the Domain Name System	August 1999
RFC 2754	RPS IANA Issues	January 2000	RFC 6254
RFC 2766	Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation
                (NAT-PT)	February 2000	rfc4966
RFC 2776	Multicast-Scope Zone Announcement Protocol (MZAP)
                February 2000
RFC 2831	Using Digest Authentication as a SASL Mechanism
                May 2000	rfc6331
RFC 2841	IP Authentication using Keyed SHA1 with Interleaved Padding
                (IP-MAC)	November 2000
RFC 2874	DNS Extensions to Support IPv6 Address Aggregation and
                Renumbering	July 2000
RFC 2885	Megaco Protocol version 0.8	August 2000
RFC 2886	Megaco Errata	August 2000
RFC 2908	The Internet Multicast Address Allocation Architecture
                September 2000
RFC 2909	The Multicast Address-Set Claim (MASC) Protocol
                September 2000
RFC 2965	HTTP State Management Mechanism	October 2000
RFC 3340	The Application Exchange Core	July 2002
RFC 3341	The Application Exchange (APEX) Access Service	July 2002
RFC 3342	The Application Exchange (APEX) Option Party Pack,
                Part Deux!	July 2002
RFC 3343	The Application Exchange (APEX) Presence Service
                April 2003
RFC 3525	Gateway Control Protocol Version 1	June 2003
                RFC 5125

RFC 3627	Use of /127 Prefix Length Between Routers Considered
                Harmful	September 2003	RFC 6547

RFC 3913	Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP): Protocol
                Specification	September 2004
RFC 4156	The wais URI Scheme	August 2005
RFC 4157	The prospero URI Scheme	August 2005
RFC 4351	Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Payload for Text
                Conversation Interleaved in an Audio Stream	January 2006
RFC 4612	Real-Time Facsimile (T.38) - audio/t38 MIME Sub-type
                Registration	August 2006
RFC 4693	IETF Operational Notes	October 2006	RFC 6393

RFC 4743	Using NETCONF over the Simple Object Access Protocol
                (SOAP)	December 2006
RFC 4744	Using the NETCONF Protocol over the Blocks Extensible
                Exchange Protocol (BEEP)	December 2006
RFC 4870	Domain-Based Email Authentication Using Public Keys
                Advertised in the DNS (DomainKeys)	May 2007
RFC 4905	Encapsulation Methods for Transport of Layer 2 Frames over
                MPLS Networks	June 2007
RFC 4906	Transport of Layer 2 Frames Over MPLS	June 2007
RFC 5143	Synchronous Optical Network/Synchronous Digital Hierarchy
                (SONET/SDH) Circuit Emulation Service over MPLS (CEM) Encapsulation	February 2008
RFC 5412	Lightweight Access Point Protocol	February 2010
RFC 5413	SLAPP: Secure Light Access Point Protocol	February 2010
RFC 5414	Wireless LAN Control Protocol (WiCoP)	February 2010
RFC 5772	A Set of Possible Requirements for a Future Routing
                Architecture	February 2010
RFC 5773	Analysis of Inter-Domain Routing Requirements and
                History	February 2010
RFC 5806	Diversion Indication in SIP	March 2010
RFC 6037	Cisco Systems' Solution for Multicast in BGP/MPLS IP
                VPNs	October 2010
RFC 6101	The Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Protocol Version 3.0
                August 2011
RFC 6123	Inclusion of Manageability Sections in Path Computation
                Element (PCE) Working Group Drafts	February 2011
RFC 6348	Requirements for Point-to-Multipoint Extensions to the Label
                Distribution Protocol	September 2011
RFC 6529	Host/Host Protocol for the ARPA Network	April 2012
RFC 6587	Transmission of Syslog Messages over TCP	April 2012
RFC 6804	DISCOVER: Supporting Multicast DNS Queries	November 2012

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking