Re: Number of CAs

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Not unless you compile your browser from source and verify the source each
> time you compile.

Wrong, because your compiler may also be compromised.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backdoor_%28computing%29

	Thompson's paper describes a modified version of the Unix C
	compiler that would:

		Put an invisible backdoor in the Unix login command
		when it noticed that the login program was being
		compiled, and as a twist

		Also add this feature undetectably to future compiler
		versions upon their compilation as well.

> They have demonstrated an ability to hide compromise
> pretty well.

See above. I know better than you how to hide it.

Still, I can say open source helps a lot.

>> It does not deny my point that PKI is no better than DH.

> You are conflating the possibility of an attack with the certainty of an
> attack succeeding.

Assuming active MITM attacks both on ISP chains and CA chains, the
attacks on PKI always suceed.

> Subpoenaing the software providers and the CAs are two different issues.
> Google could not credibly claim that its business would be destroyed if
> PRISM was exposed but

Are you saying that it's OK even though google's software business
has damaged a lot?

Note that google also has cloud provider business, which is also
damaged a lot.

> Symantec could and would make the claim that they
> would lose a business unit they paid $1.2 billion for.

Because PKI business is a fallacy, they really don't loss any
real business.

> Issuing a bogus certificate is a very visible event.

Assuming active MITM attacks both on ISP chains and CA chains, the
attacks are invisible.

						Masataka Ohta