Re: [IAB] Mandatory encryption as part of HTTP2

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 07:05:04PM -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> > That being said, the problem for PKI is that, assuming active
> > MITM attacks both on ISP chains and CA chains, it offer no
> > better security than DH,
> >
> > As DH involves end systems only, there is no point of deploying
> > PKI with no additional benefits.
>
> If we assume that the attack model is flying horses armed with lasers there
> is no additional benefit.
>
> The point is not what the consequences of the assumptions are, the question
> is how likely the assumptions are. If you leave that out of the equation
> then the result is nonsense.

Actually, the attack was called "FLYING PIG" --- that was the GHCQ
code name, per the Snowden leaks[1].  Some have speculated that
Diginotar was so badly penetrated that it wasn't just the Iranians
which penetrated it, but the NSA/GHCQ as well.

One of the reasons why the bogus Diginotar certificates were detected
was because Google Chrome had a feature called "certificate pinning"
--- which is not a feature normally associated with PKI's.  It's
unfortunately not all that scalable, since it involved hard-coding
certificates, or their hashes, in the browser binary.  The challenge
is coming up with a solution that *is* more scalable, and less
dependent on trusting that CA's are competently run.

					- Ted

[1] http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130910/10470024468/