Re: Where at IETF is done: cloud computing, small cells, base station?

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/15/13 12:38 PM, SM wrote:
> Hi Alex, At 08:01 15-11-2013, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>> I am trying to identify where at IETF are works related to cloud
>> computing, small cells, base stations?
>>
>> I could think of some of the groups in the Internet Area which
>> relate to mobility management and a 3GPP stance.
>>
>> I could think of an old BoF 'clouds', but not sure what did it
>> give?
>
> See
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/clouds/current/msg00209.html
> I suggest looking in why past efforts were mitigated successes.

Or outright failures. See:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/clouds/current/msg00272.html

Peter

Quite.

Cloud computing is not really an idea of how to do computing at all. It is simply a gap that appeared on a lot of people's Powerpoint slides that essentially means 'I am not going to be the one thinking about this'.

And that is an OK thing to do. It is perfectly OK to say that the problems of deployment, security, yadda yadda are going to be handled magically by someone else and there are a lot of competent companies who can do that.

But the fact that we have all those people doing different things and calling them 'cloud computing' does not mean that they are all the same. We have software as a service all the way down to infrastructure as a service.

And even if everyone was talking about the same thing that is not the same as being able to turn that thing into a fungible commodity which is what a standard is for.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/