Re: The first issue (was : A sort of council of elders for the internet)

On 11/13/2013 02:08 PM, SM wrote:

[ snip ]
>> You and I arrived to the IETF through quite unusual paths.  A key
>
> :-)
>
>> question is how everybody else happen to join in.  In particular, how
>> do companies decide who of their employees participates in IETF
>> activities, if any.
>
> I don't know whether anybody would want to look into that.

I can't speak for anyone else, but every time my employer (for several
values of employer) has sent me to an IETF meeting it has been because I
was the one who was participating and asked to go.  My participation has
never started out as an employer directive.

-Andrew