Re: A sort of council of elders for the internet

On Nov 10, 2013, at 5:22 PM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think that if you are going to talk about the consensus problem,
>> then all you have to do is point to the lack of parity, which is
>> visible at every IETF, and then someone who claims it isn't a problem
>> is automatically in the rough.
>
> That strikes me as the welcome mat in front of a rathole.  How does
> the gender balance in the IETF (or whatever subgroup of the IETF)
> compare to the balance in the population from which the IETF or the
> subgroup is drawn?  What population is that, exactly?  etc etc blah
> blah

If indeed the gender imbalance in the IETF is a symptom of a larger problem, which I agree is probably true, then we are still a part of that problem, and also potentially a part of the solution.   We can lead, or we can follow (in whatever direction the rest of the world goes).

> There are lots of reasons we don't see more women in the IETF.  Some
> are things we can fix ourselves, some are things we can't, but you'd
> have to be wilfully blind not to see ways that the IETF can be
> uncomfortable for women, particularly young women.

_That_ sounds more like a welcome mat for a rathole to me, and I think it's one of the reasons why we picked a design team to look at this problem rather than continuing to discuss it on the IETF mailing list.   If you have input to offer them, I think you know how to be in touch. :)