Re: Last Call: <draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-03.txt> (IETF Guidelines for Conduct) to Best Current Practice

Hi David,
At 16:29 07-11-2013, David Farmer wrote:
In general I agree with keeping the particular issue of harassment out of the draft. However, there are some concepts in the Anti-Harassment Policy that may be worthy of including. I believe the first paragraph of the policy is an excellent summary of what the guidelines intend to achieve.

   IETF meetings, virtual meetings, and mailing lists are intended for
   professional collaboration and networking. The IETF strives to
   create and maintain an environment in which people of many different
   backgrounds are treated with dignity, decency, and respect. Those
   who participate in the IETF are expected to behave according to
   professional standards and demonstrate appropriate workplace
   behavior.

I'm not suggesting you simply insert that text, but maybe ensure all of the ideas or concepts are embodied within the draft. In particular I'd like to see the concepts of "professional standards" and/or "workplace behavior" more directly included.

I'll list some words from the text:

  - dignity

  - decency

  - respect

There is the following text in the draft:

  "Regardless of these individual differences, participants treat
   their colleagues with respect as persons ..."

There isn't any mention of the word "dignity" or "decency". These two words usually appear in a code of ethics. I would argue that "professional standards" and "workplace behavior" are influenced by social norms. As an example, a speaker disclosed his affiliations in his opening remarks at the Technical Plenary. The degree to which that is done varies. People generally do not do that in a workplace as everyone works for the same company. I am listed as the document editor of the draft. It must have crossed people's minds whether I am doing it to get a vanity RFC. It is unlikely that the average IETF participant would ask that question.

In some cultures it may be frowned upon if a person is confrontational. Being confrontational may be considered as acceptable behavior in other cultures.

Let's say I add the word "professional" to the draft. Someone will ask: what is the meaning of the word? Is the person being difficult? I don't think so. What seems obvious to a person may not be that obvious to another person. In essence, people would like to know what is acceptable or what is not acceptable.

Additionally, a little shot of the "Golden Rule" wouldn't hurt either, its always a good idea to remind people think about how they would want to be treated if the roles were reversed.

There is the following sentence in the draft:

  "Seeing from another's point of view is often revealing even when it
   fails to be compelling."

The preceding sentence could be changed to:

  Regardless of these individual differences, participants treat their
  colleagues with respect as persons especially when it is difficult to
  agree with them; treat other participants as you would like to be treated.

and the "Seeing from ..." sentence be removed.

Finally, in my opinion, part of being "professional" is to apologize when from time-to-time we each act in an unprofessional manne, we all fail occasionally. And, regarding Appendix A, a simple polite request for an apology is frequently the most professional, appropriate, and expeditious coarse of action.

A person might have sent a hasty message or maybe the message was poorly worded. Mistakes do happen. I prefer not to explain that a meaningful apology might help to resolve the problem. My reading of the word "meaningful" is that the person means what he or she says.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy