Re: future of identifiers

On Nov 5, 2013, at 6:54 PM, Toerless Eckert <eckert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would be nice though if the concept of anonymous identy was better
> embodies in the IETF architecture.

Yes. That said, an identity identifies what someone thinks it identifies. Suppose you had a gold wrist band of a particular style; it might be emblematic of you. But suppose that you had gotten it as a member of some group, all of whom received it; while I might think of it as emblematic of you, it would actually only identify a member of that group.

An anonymous identity, I suspect, is indistinguishable from any other identity in type. But it might be something that is advertised as valid but not associated with an individual (suppose we had a PGP key for ietf@xxxxxxxx?) or one that is shared by a set of actors.