Re: Last Call: <C> (On Consensus and Humming in the IETF) to Informational RFC

On Nov 4, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Dave Cridland <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What Larry is saying - or at least, what I'm agreeing with, regardless of whether Larry meant this or not - is that if you've a bunch of people saying "I've implemented this in production, and X needs to be Y", then that is a very hard argument to beat.

Historically we haven't just blessed existing implementations if there were things that needed to be fixed.   This interpretation of "running code" is a bit problematic because people with running code have a vested interest in the spec not changing.   Not always a bad thing, but it can be quite harmful.