Re: [Sdn] FW: Last Call: <draft-sin-sdnrg-sdn-approach-04.txt> (Software-Defined Networking: A Perspective From Within A Service Provider) to Informational RFC

Adrian,

Thanks for sharing this draft. This is a very good draft to summarize SDN for carrier networks.

Two comments:
- 100% Agree with the draft on the emphasis of PDP (Policy Decision Point) and PEP (Policy enforcement Point) components of SDN. why does the draft emphasize that "SDN approach should be global, network-wide"? Here are a couple of examples that SDN is not global based:

1) The wireless' PCRF (Policy and Charging rules function) and PCEF (Policy Charging Enforcement Function) are good examples of SDN. However, PCRF and PCEF only control the access segments, not global network.

2) In data center, centralized controller(s), with the information passed from VM management system,  can define (virtual) networks to interconnect Virtual machines. This network is local to Data Center, not necessarily global based.

- We all understand the challenges of "Full Automation". However, the SDN and Full automation are two separate angles to Carrier networks. I find the Section 4.1  "Implications of full automation" actually de-rails the focus of the draft on SDN.

My two cents.

Linda