Re: NIST documents

In reference to

> Maybe the openness of the Internet owes a lot to this tradition.

let me offer a comment regarding the RFCs.  There might be a general connection, but there wasn't an explicit connection.  The decision that RFCs would be freely available and without restriction regarding use came primarily from me.  I was part of the team at UCLA, which together with our counterparts at SRI, UCSB and Utah developed the initial set of ideas about the Arpanet protocols.  When we started to write down our ideas, we wanted to remove all barriers for publication and use.  A participant from one of the institutions involved in the next round of connections, i.e., not one of the first four, expressed concern that his institution would require pre-publication review and approval, so we declared RFCs not to be "publications."

There was no directive from DARPA or anyone else in the government nor was there even discussion about this policy.  It was a pragmatic decision aimed at facilitating maximum communication with minimum overhead and minimum delay.  We implicitly assumed there would be formal processes for the "real" documents later, and, of course, the RFCs were just a temporary expedient intended to last just a few months…

I suppose if the course we set had been antithetical to the U.S. Government's wishes, we might have gotten some guidance to do something different, but I don't recall the subject ever coming up.  We not only wanted the rules to be as unrestrictive as possible, we also wanted to spend as little time as possible discussing the rules.

Steve