Re: [Diversity] Attracting people from emerging regions into the IETF

Hi Steve,
At 14:18 01-10-2013, Steve Conte wrote:
One of the goals of the ISOC Fellowship to the IETF programme is to
increase IETF participation in emerging and developing economies, and thus
it contributes to increasing diversity within the IETF.  ISOC also has and
supports other activities surrounding the increase of awareness and
participation in the IETF.  The fellowship is just one component.

I would like to better understand how the implementation and operation of
this ISOC-driven programme speaks to the larger challenge question of
increasing diversity at IETF.

There is a one-page overview of the IETF provided by the Internet Society [1]. According to the document:

"The IETF seeks broad participation. The work of the IETF takes places online, largely through email lists, reducing barriers to participation and maximizing contributions from around the world. IETF Working Groups (WGs) are organized
   by topic into several areas (e.g. routing, transport, security, etc.)."

The document then has a title about "mission and principles" which I'll quote:

  "The mission of the IETF is make the Internet work better by producing high
   quality, relevant technical documents that influence the way people design,
   use, and manage the Internet."

I read an article written by the Chair of the IETF. I'll do some selective quoting of that article:

  "The IETF can benefit of untapped potential and bring even more energy to
   the work."

  "We think of diversity as something that covers international participation,
different cultures, gender, age, organisational background, and so on. While
   I am very proud of the IETF as a very international organisation ? with
   participants from 60 countries working on documents, for instance ­ there
   are many aspects of diversity where we could do much better.  Overall
   participation is concentrated in some areas of the world, with little
   participation from Africa and South America, for instance.  Similarly,
   while the IETF has some very active female participants and leadership
   members, the numbers are very small."

  "The diversity team is a design team tasked with understanding the issues
   we are facing, drawing in experience from other organizations affected by
   similar issues, identifying obstacles to us having the widest breadth of
   talented participants and leaders, and making practical recommendations
   that could help us improve the situation."

The Chair of the IETF asked for practical recommendations. It is not for me to make recommendations. I can only make suggestions (see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg82776.html ). If the IETF Area Directors believe that the suggestions are unpractical or useless they are welcome to ignore them.

In my humble opinion the challenge of the IETF is to produce high quality, relevant technical documents. The Chair of the IETF mentioned that there is very little participation from Africa and South America. The main point raised during the discussions about the draft is on-going and active participation. The question is what can be done in practice to improve on-going and active participation from, for example, Africa and South America without making it even more difficult for the IETF to produce high quality, relevant technical documents.

I would like to see five Working Groups Chairs who are residing in South America within a few years. They will have to earn the role based on merit and not because they are from South America. They will have to work hard. They will have to learn by themselves what John Klensin means when he says: The "I" in the IETF is not I.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.ietf.org/about/about-the-ietf-en.pdf