Re: Transport Directorate review of: draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-mcast-14

David,

> Yakov,
>
> First of all, thank you for overlooking the "off-by-one" error on
> the year :-) -
>
> > > Review Date: September 23, 2012
> > > IETF LC End Date: September 23, 2012
>
> Of course, 2013 was intended, twice ;-).

:-)

> On the two items (both are editorial, IMHO):
>
> > > (1) The techniques in this draft appear to add an MPLS label to the
> > > stack in order to identify the MPLS multicast tree.  Does that added
> > > label raise any MTU concerns in practice?
> >
> > No more than any other use of label stacking (and there are plenty
> > of other uses of label stacking).
>
> I concur, which is why I noted this item as editorial - I don't think
> it's an actual issue.
>
> > Furthermore, rfc3032 ("MPLS Label
> > Stack Encoding") does cover the MTU issue.
>
> A sentence to that effect (lots of uses of label stacking, MTU effects
> are both well understood and not a problem in practice) with a
> reference to RFC 3032 should suffice.

How about if I'll add the following at the end of 5.5:

  Aggregation procedures would require two labels stack.
  This does not introduce any new implications on MTU,
  as even VPLS multicast supported by ingress
  replication requires two labels stack.

> > > (2) Two techniques used by this draft - replication of traffic within
> > > a multicast tree, and flooding of traffic (section 14) - could be
> > > employed as traffic amplifiers in denial of service attacks.  A short
> > > discussion of this possibility and the applicability of countermeasures
> > > described in this draft, RFC 4761 and/or RFC 4762 would be good to
> > > add to the security considerations section.
> >
> > The Security Consideration section already talks about 4761 and 4762:
> >
> >    Security considerations discussed in [RFC4761] and [RFC4762] apply to
> >    this document.
> >
> > Suggestion on any additional text would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I'd suggest an initial sentence:
>
> 	Replication of traffic within a multicast tree, and flooding
> 	of traffic (see section 14) could be employed as traffic
> 	amplifiers in denial of service attacks.

I'll add this.

> Followed by a sentence or sentences that list a few important applicable
> countermeasures (your choice), explaining why each is applicable and
> indicating where each is described (this document, RFC 4761 or RFC 4762).

I would greately appreciated if you would help me with "a sentence
or sentences" to cover this. I don't think RFC4761 or RFC4762
describe any of such countermeasures.

Yakov.